A rhinoplasty is a delicate procedure that should always be performed by a specialist to get the best results. You have one nose that you will have for the rest of your life. A lot of people will travel to make sure they find the best rhinoplasty surgeon, especially if for some reason they need a revision rhinoplasty. The good news is that if you’re in New York, you won’t have to travel very far to find the right surgeon for rhinoplasty near you.
At Pearlman Aesthetic Surgery we prioritize our patients’ experience. We know it’s imperative that you have all the information you need to be fully informed about your aesthetic surgical care. If you look at our reviews, our staff gets as many, if not more, rave reviews than even Dr. Pearlman.
The Top 5 Things to Look for in a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
Your nose is one of the most prominent features on your face, you don’t want to trust your nose job to just any surgeon. “Nose job” makes it sound like a casual affair, and while rhinoplasties are one of the most common procedures, it’s not a simple surgery.
When looking for a surgeon, you want someone who specializes in rhinoplasties, who devotes most of their practice to it. The nose isn’t just a body part, it’s a sensory organ that affects a large part of how we experience our lives. It’s important that you find a surgeon that is at the very least board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Dr. StevenJ. Pearlman is a dual-board certified facial plastic and reconstructive plastic surgeon as well as Otolaryngology-Head and Neck surgery (ENT). He has performed over 7,500 rhinoplasties in his career and is one of the first surgeons to utilize the Piezo Ultrasonic Rhinoplasty technique in the United States.
2. Types of Procedures
When it comes to nose plastic surgery, there isn’t a one size fits all approach. A rhinoplasty surgeon that offers more specific types of rhinoplasties is a good sign. There have been plenty of advancements in rhinoplasty technique, and you want a surgeon who can provide you with the right rhinoplasty treatment for you.
Types of Rhinoplasties (click on each subject title for links to more in depth information)
- Preservation: For reducing a nasal hump but maintaining the continuity of your in-born natural bridge. Preservation rhinoplasties have been gaining popularity in recent years because it doesn’t alter the structural integrity of the nose.
- Ethnic: Noses vary immensely from ethnicity to ethnicity, a skilled surgeon can assist patients who want to maintain facial balance with respect to their heritage and culture.
- Teenage: For younger patients, rhinoplasty is an option after their nose has stopped growing. Teenage rhinoplasty is a significant decision that can help young people avoid ridicule or other difficulties during their formative years.
- Septoplasty: For patients who suffer from a deviated septum causing breathing issues, a septoplasty procedure reshapes the bone and cartilage to improve nasal function. A septoplasty can also be combined with a rhinoplasty (known as a septorhinoplasty).
- Revision: Ideally, a rhinoplasty should only need to be performed once, but in the case where the first procedure was done poorly, a revision rhinoplasty can correct it.
- Piezo Ultrasonic: A more precise and less invasive rhinoplasty procedure that has a faster recovery time, the piezo rhinoplasty is an innovative rhinoplasty technique.
3. Before and After Photos
You should always ask a plastic surgeon for their before and after photos and read reviews from their patients on referral sites like Real Self. Pay particular attention to patients who have similar features to you or who asked for changes like the ones you would like to see.
When you’re looking at before and after photos, make sure to check that they look legitimate. Make sure they have consistent angels and lighting, and in general that they don’t seem edited. Ask to see photos during your consultation; you can ask your surgeon to elaborate on the process used for the patient, too.
4. Computer Imaging
It can be very hard to envision the results of your potential nose job. The best rhinoplasty surgeons provide multiple methods that help you better understand your potential results.
At Pearlman Aesthetic Surgery we use both Mirror 2D and Vectra 3D imaging to help our patients really envision what their results will look like. The use of this technology is vital to understanding not only the potential changes and improvements to the nose itself, but also promotes a dialogue between patient and doctor to visualize your new nose and how it appears with the rest of your facial features.
There are so many types of rhinoplasties and factors that can influence your surgery, it’s important to know you can get your questions answered.
You want an expert surgeon, but you also want a surgeon that you can have a good relationship with. Plastic surgery, particularly for the face, is a really intimate experience, and not the kind of experience you want to schedule on a whim.
The consultation is one of the most significant parts of the plastic surgery process because it sets the tone for your relationship with your surgeon. This is the time when you and your surgeon work together to come to a mutual understanding of the expectations for your rhinoplasty procedure.
The best rhinoplasty surgeon will listen to your concerns as well as provide expert guidance on how to best achieve your desired goal: achieve facial harmony without compromising the function of your nose.
We also offer each and every patient the opportunity to return for a second (and sometimes third) visit to discuss any questions or apprehension they may have about getting rhinoplasty. Some patients might even want to ask about information they received at a consultation elsewhere. We don’t charge for these visits, they are covered with the initial consultation.
Dr. Pearlman discusses rhinoplasty in this video:
Questions to Ask in Your Rhinoplasty Consultation
You don’t want to settle for just any rhinoplasty near you, that’s why taking the most advantage of your consultation is crucial to making your decision. During the consultation is when you should feel free to ask any and every question you need to feel confident that your surgeon is going to serve you well.
Obviously, you’ll want to ask questions that pertain to what we’ve mentioned here: confirm your surgeon is board certified, that they use computer imaging techniques, and can provide quality before and after photos.
More questions to ask:
- What is your experience with performing rhinoplasty surgeries?
- Does rhinoplasty comprise the majority of the surgeries your surgeon performs?
- What is your policy on revisions if I don’t like my results?
- How long is the expected recovery timeline?
- How will you support me in my recovery
- When can I expect to see final results?
- Which technique do you plan to use in my rhinoplasty?
- Can you combine other plastic surgery procedures with my rhinoplasty?
How to prepare for a rhinoplasty surgery
So you’ve found the best rhinoplasty surgeon and you’ve scheduled your rhinoplasty near you in NYC. Now you’re wondering how to best prepare for your surgery and what recovering from rhinoplasty will be like.
As with any surgery, rhinoplasty recovery is largely affected by how well you’re prepared beforehand and managing your expectations. It’s important to know that final results from a rhinoplasty can take up to a year to fully realize.
Dr. Pearlman and his team will provide you with a recovery tool kit that includes detailed post-operative instructions to ensure a positive recovery experience.
General preparation guidelines:
- Get lots of rest. Your body will need energy to heal after surgery. Resting before and after helps support your recovery.
- Drink more water. Being sufficiently hydrated is always beneficial, but can also act as a catalyst for your recovery.
- Keep your face clean. Don’t wear makeup on the day of your surgery.
- Talk to your surgeon about what medications you should or shouldn’t take.
- Plan ahead. Make sure you have a ride for the day of your surgery. It can also help to have meals prepared ahead of time.
Taking the time to prepare for your rhinoplasty can minimize risk and optimize your outcome. Don’t underestimate the importance of finding a surgeon who supports you before and after your procedure.
Looking for a rhinoplasty near you? Look no further than Pearlman Aesthetic Surgery in NYC!
Dr. Steven Pearlman is among the best rhinoplasty surgeons in NYC. With over 30 years of experience, he uses his expertise in the complexities of this procedure to achieve beautiful results for his patients and to provide aesthetic improvement and functionality of the nose.
Even though it’s a small body party, the nose is such a prominent part of the face and as a sensory organ is also an important part of how we experience the world. You want to be able to trust the hands performing your surgery.
Pearlman Aesthetic Surgery serves all individuals who feel that the amazing person they are on the inside isn’t matching what they see in the mirror. When we say “We Empower Beauty” it’s not about reaching a certain aesthetic, but using our expertise to support our patient’s ideal version of themselves.
There is no substitute for coming in for an exam and rhinoplasty consultation, but if you’re not quite ready for an office visit, you can always try out our virtual rhinoplasty planning tool. Answer a few simple questions and receive personalized rhinoplasty recommendations right to your inbox.